Heroes and Heroines Live Action Roleplay (Larp/LRP)

A UK Live Roleplaying Group Based in The West Midlands

Photos for the new site

Specific posts regarding the Heroes and Heroines Club website

Photos for the new site

Postby sebsmith » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:54 pm

So, I'm keen to make sure that some of the frankly amazing pictures which have been taken on events in the last couple of years get used to illustrate the website as we get new content up.

I am, however, conscious of the fact that I know a number of people do not want to have pictures of themselves freely available on the internet, and am keen to make sure that we respect those wishes.

Before putting any photo on the site we will specifically contact everybody we can identify in the picture to check that they are happy for it to appear.

However, to save time, in the future, can you let us know if you do not want any images of you to appear on the site? You don't have to tell us here, just let us know by e-mail at webmaster@heroesandheroines.org and we will make sure that nothing with you identifiable in it appears on the site.
sebsmith
Site Admin

Re: Photos for the new site

Postby Jem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 pm

I was under the impression that the site could support multi-layered viewing.

I.e. Not logged in gives access to an album of 'approved', yet still interesting photos.
New joinee's would also have access to this...

People with charcters over rank 10 (or whatever caviat):
While logged in would allow access to all photos

There would still be the opt out of any photo a member does not wish displayed.
Jem

Postby sebsmith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:29 pm

You are correct in this assertion; the site uses an account ranking system from 0 (unknown/not logged in) to 9 (site coder) to allow us to restrict access to certain people. This will be used in the galleries (when I finish them) to ensure that only club members can see the main event photos, and to lock down certain content...

What i was talking about above, however, was photos used in main site content to be viewed by anyone. For example, there was a really nice picture of Dae and Artemis from the previous dungeon, which I thought might look nice decorating an article somewhere, but I don't want to splash pictures of Ruth across the site for the world to see if she doesn't want them used...
sebsmith
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:26 pm

what about a members section?
a small gallery with select awesome photos for general public to entice them then full albums and articles with images that only are visible to paid members, which can be down when membership lapses
Alex

Postby sebsmith » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Sounds good to me, and eminently do-able; Basically we just need a database of membership renewals, an admin interface to interract with the database, and then a script which, at midnight on the 1st of May (or whenever the hell it is that membership expires!) downgrades anybody who hasn't paid their membership...

And the rest is fairly easy, since I built a section into the gallery database which allows us to override the normal level restrictions for specific photos, so yes, we could have a few approved photos available to the general public and then the rest of the galleries available to members only...
sebsmith
Site Admin

Return to Heroes & Heroines Website